Tuesday, June 22, 2010

The Rollercoaster That Is Life

Back in the day when I had a lot of time on my hands, I was an avid reader of novels. During the aftermath of hurricane Ike when we went without power for days and days, I actually read a novel a day for four days straight. (It's amazing how much time you have on your hands when you can not go to work, thouroghly clean your house, go to the store or do any other time zapping activities that makes up an average day.) I especially liked the books that followed a family through ups and downs and in the end everything usually works out and life goes on.

Okay, I'm a nerd... I admit it.

While I love reading how fictitious heroines shoulder lifes burdens and come out victorious in the end, this past year and a half has been a rollercoaster ride that has left me feeling less like a heroine in a novel and more like someone who is on the verge of losing her grip on reality. Okay that might be a little dramatic as I don't think I'm quite ready for a padded room, but man, I don't think I can take much more drama in my life!

Here is what has happened in the past year and a half:

We saw daughter number one get engaged, and planned said wedding in four months.

A few months later daughter number one graduated from college.

In November we unexpectedly lost my mother-in-law.

A little over a month later we unexpectedly lost my father.

Two days later I started a new full time job and was promoted to a more stressful position within two months.

Spring time found us visiting colleges and preparing for the graduation of daughter number two.

This summer started with us preparing to send our son to high school and daughter number two off to college.

And now we are dealing with Paul's job loss and anticipating all that we will be facing in the near future.

Sprinkled in the midst of all of these major life happenings are the mini-happenings that make life so sweet. Things like family weddings and births, family vacations, making new friends and relaxing with old friends...etc.. etc..

When my children were growing up and something that they percieved to be major in their lives would happen, I would always remind them that there is a lesson to be learned from everything.

I suppose that is what my heavenly father is telling me right now. I think it might be the lesson to just sit back and trust in his soverienty.

2 comments:

Savannah said...

Amen mom! Greg said the same thing after the crazy day we had yesterday! Even through a minor injury, we believe God is using this to tell Greg it's time to calm down, relax, and be fully dependent on Him! I was just thinking this afternoon that with each event you listed, there were so many loving friends and family around to help, support, and care for all of us and this time will be no different. Plus, having God at your side 24/7 is pretty comforting too ;-) I love you mom and am 110% confident you will see God's perfect will in all of this!!

Unknown said...

I couldn't have said it better myself Savannah....We are praying for you and your family during this time of uncertainty. Just remember that God has already worked out His perfect plan and He is GOOD all the time.