Friday, April 10, 2009

Got Grace?

Websters dictionary defines Grace as "the exercise of love, kindness,and mercy to benefit or serve another."
So what does grace in action look like?
If you follow today's headlines, you will be hard-pressed to find any stories that show humanity reflecting grace. But sometimes we find grace being lived out by members of our own family. Sometimes it is cloaked in mundane actions and it looks like obligation, but if you look deep enough you will see it is grace.

My father-in-law has been suffering from a horrible disease called Lewy Body Dementia. His mental and physical decline has been swift and pronounced and he now lives in an Alzheimer's facility. All four of his children live out grace as they care for his physical needs, conduct his financial business, and spend countless hours visiting him. They have traveled many miles, sacrificed time with their families, and forgone personal relationships all to ensure that he is comfortable and well taken care of. They don't expect kudos or accolades for what they do. Their father isn't even in a state to thank them. They simply do it out of love. That is what grace is all about.

Last night was our Holy Friday service to reflect on God's ultimate show of grace. As I thought about the magnitude of his sacrifice, I was struck by how easy he made it for us to reflect his love. We don't have to take on someone else's sins and endure beatings or death to show how much we care for them. He already did that.. for all of us. There is a myriad of seemingly ordinary things that we can do for others to reflect God's grace. Looking at my day to day living it is obvious to me that I ask for God's grace so much more than I give it. So my challenge to myself is to look for ways to show it. Maybe it will be giving undeserved forgiveness, perhaps it will be reaching out to the sick or needy, or maybe it will be as simple as acknowledging and giving a dollar to that homeless person on the corner. Whatever it is, it may be difficult or uncomfortable, and I may not do it out of love for the recipient, but i will do it out of love for my Savior. How about you?

No comments: