Sunday, April 12, 2009

Happy Easter

Hello my name is Annie..............................................I'm 43 years old............. and my mother still makes me an Easter basket each year............





Yes each Easter when we go to visit my mom and dad, she has an Easter basket for each of her grandchildren and one for each of her children and their spouses. There has never been a year for as long as I can remember, that I didn't get an Easter basket from my mom.
Growing up my three siblings and I would wake up Easter morning, pillage through our baskets,open all the little toys, and enjoy a breakfast of chocolate and jellybeans. Then before church each of us would hide our individual baskets in a secure place lest someone took a liking to some of our candy and claimed it as their own....This was candy people...CHOCOLATE candy......we had to do what we had to do. Anyway, I'm sure there were plenty of years that the budget was tight and putting those baskets together required some serious penny pinching on my parents part, but each year without fail there would be a colorful basket full of goodies on our dressers. Of course many years have come and gone, and she no longer sneaks into our bedrooms while we are asleep and puts the baskets on our dresser......because that would be downright weird....... but she does still enjoy shopping for just the right Easter fare and then arranging it in a cute little Easter themed containers.

Oh sure the contents have changed. I no longer get jump ropes, bubbles, and huge one-eyed chocolate bunnies. Now I get grown-up stuff like gourmet coffee, chocolate truffles, and cute Easter decorations. While the treats in my basket have matured, I still act like a five year-old when I dig through it, and I have been known to hide it somewhere where no one can find it. (I guess old habits die hard.)

I know there will come an Easter when I no longer get a basket from my mom and that is something I don't even want to think about. So for right now, I'll get my basket from my secret hiding place, sip my gourmet coffee, enjoy my chocolate truffles and revel in the fact that I'm still my moms little girl.

3 comments:

Savannah said...

I've used my bags of gourmet coffee already! I love my Easter basket/crockpot recipie book! :-) And I wouldn't think it would be creepy for you to put my basket on our kitchen table next year... and maybe leave a trail of eggs?... haha

suzannah | the smitten word said...

my mother-in-law made us an easter basket this year, too, and that chocolate bunny is delicious:)

Amy @ Finer Things said...

We still get Easter baskets each year, too, only... my mom puts my DAD in charge of them. So much fun!